The Irregulars is an upcoming television series currently in production for Netflix. It will focus on the Baker Street Irregulars, a gang of street children who in canon helped Sherlock Holmes gather evidence for his cases. However, it will turn this traditional relationship upside-down, portraying the Irregulars as a "gang of troubled delinquent teens who are manipulated into solving crimes for the sinister Doctor Watson and his mysterious business partner", while Holmes takes credit for their success. The series will also feature supernatural elements, as the Irregulars realize they are up against a dark forces that threatens not only London but "potentially the entire world."
The series will be written by Oscar-nominated writer Tom Bidwell, who wrote the script for Netflix/BBC One's adaptation of Watership Down. In an interview with the BBC Writer's Room, Bidwell described the series as his "dream project", and said he had been pitching it for ten years.
- Henry Lloyd-Hughes as Sherlock Holmes
- Royce Pierreson as Dr John Watson
- Clarke Peters as the Linen Man
- Thaddea Graham as Bea
- Darci Shaw as Jessie
- Jojo Macari as Billy
- McKell David as Spike
- Harrison Osterfield as Leopold
The production of the series was first announced in late 2018. Cast details were announced in December 2019, including Thaddea Graham, Darci Shaw, Jojo Macari, McKell David, and Harrison Osterfield the Irregulars; Henry Lloyd Hughes as Holmes; Royce Pierreson as Dr Watson; and Clarke Peters as the mysterious "Linen Man".
Filming for the series commenced in September 2019 in Chester, Liverpool, and other locations, and was expected to continue through May 2020. Additional filming took place in Middleport Pottery in Stoke-on-Trent in October. In March 2020, production was suspended due to the global Coronavirus pandemic; filming resumed in August in Ellesmere Port after a five-month hiatus.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Elliott, Dave (2019-12-19). "Netflix Announces Cast For Twisted Sherlock Holmes-Related Drama ‘The Irregulars’".
- ↑ Bidwell, Tom (2018-12-18). "Adapting Watership Down for BBC One".
- ↑ Carr, Flora (2018-12-20). "Netflix is planning a new Sherlock Holmes series called The Irregulars".
- ↑ Sherlock, Gemma (2019-09-19). "New Netflix Sherlock Holmes drama is being filmed in Chester".
- ↑ Tariq, Fahad (2019-10-10). "Action! Camera crews filming in Stoke-on-Trent all week for Netflix's hotly-anticipated new TV series".
- ↑ de Lucia, Carmella (2020-08-17). "Filming for Netflix show returns to Ellesmere Port after five month break due to coronavirus".