The Return of Sherlock Holmes is a collection of 13 short stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. They were first published in The Strand Magazine between October 1903 and December 1904 with original illustrations by Sidney Paget. All of these stories take place after Sherlock Holmes' apparent death in "The Adventure of the Final Problem".
This was the first Holmes collection since 1893, when Holmes had "died" in The Final Problem. Having published The Hound of the Baskervilles in 1901–1902 (although setting it before Holmes' death) Doyle came under intense pressure to revive his famous character.
The first story is set in 1894 and has Holmes returning in London and explaining the period from 1891–94, a period called "The Great Hiatus" by Sherlockian enthusiasts.
- "The Adventure of the Empty House" (the return of Holmes)
- "The Adventure of the Norwood Builder"
- "The Adventure of the Dancing Men"
- "The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist"
- "The Adventure of the Priory School"
- "The Adventure of Black Peter"
- "The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton"
- "The Adventure of the Six Napoleons"
- "The Adventure of the Three Students"
- "The Adventure of the Golden Pince-Nez"
- "The Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter"
- "The Adventure of the Abbey Grange"
- "The Adventure of the Second Stain"
- List of Sherlock Holmes Short Stories and Novels
- Chronology of Sherlock Holmes Stories
- Canon of Sherlock Holmes
|Sherlock Holmes Canon|
|Sherlock Holmes • John Watson • Mycroft Holmes • Professor Moriarty • Inspector Lestrade • Irene Adler|
|Mary Watson • Mrs Hudson • Tobias Gregson • Athelney Jones • Sebastian Moran|
|A Study in Scarlet • The Sign of the Four • The Hound of the Baskervilles • The Valley of Fear|
|Short story collections|
|The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes • The Return of Sherlock Holmes|
His Last Bow • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes
|Behind the scenes|
|Arthur Conan Doyle • The Strand Magazine • Sidney Paget • Chronology of Sherlock Holmes Cases|